martedì 7 luglio 2009

I swim for Gianca






I am delighted to write about this initiative which I have enthusiastically embraced because it is a perfect mix of sport and solidarity: the Association “Io nuoto per Gianca” has engaged in fund raising for research on bone marrow lesions through a number of sports events in the beautiful seas of Italy. On July 18, I will be swimming from Asinara to Stintino, a marvellous, unspoilt area, with sport champions and fans that each year meet to renew their participation to this useful project.
I have often noticed that people are more aware and willing to support disability issues than governments care to acknowledge. For example, the fact that there has been no further sanctions for companies that do not respect the disability quotas, or the difficulties that “sensorial disables” encounter in schools, that to date, the law n°69 of 2000 cannot be applied because the Ministry of Instruction has not yet made the necessary modifications to the application regulations.
Bureaucratiic issues which translate in daily complications for us, practical and emotional difficulties, and prove the cultural backwardness of our legislators,
These difficulties have inspired and still inspire the European Swimming Tour, I am now close to the fourth leg, for which between July 29 and August 6, I will be swimming across the Channel. This will be an historic passage which has always fascinated experienced swimmers and sea lovers. In my project the distance that separates the United Kingdom from France has a symbolic meaning, the difficulties at sea are the obstacles to face for a full integration of the world of disabilities in the so called normal world, to reach a society that allows all to live with the same dignity.
I will be accompanied and assisted by Filippo Tassara, an eminent player in the swimming areana, and, I am proud to say, a dear friend since the Tour of Italy. I am a little frightened by the difficulties that await me but I am supported by the affection and the concrete help of the Circolo Canottieri Aniene, the Fondazione Roma and Italbrokers. I wish to thank the Chairman Malagò and Prof. Emmanuele Emanuele, Stefano Giovannini, and those clubs, associeation, local entities made of extraordinary people that have given me their attention and support and have proved that my battle is their priority, always.
Best Regards
Salvatore Cimmino

Nessun commento: