martedì 31 luglio 2012

MY FIRST TIME – 7th edition – I swim for Gianca

July 28th, 2012 – crossing by swimming from Lipari, spiaggia delle Pomici to Santa Marina di Salina.


“Salvatore Cimmino has given us strong emotions by winning the race in Salina”

“The man who swims and wins with only one leg.”

“Swimmer with one leg wins first place in the crossing between the islands of Lipari and Salina.”


Reading the words of the Mayor of Salina, Massimo Lo Schiavo, and the reports on the Sicilian media, gave me too a strong emotion. I was literally moved, not because I won, but because I felt rewarded that the world can finally understand that people with disabilities have every right to be active agents and subjects in the everyday affairs of human existence. Disability should not be regarded as a punishment or curse. Rather, it is an event on the agenda, a fact of human existence that should not prevent the full integration of people with disabilities and of so-called normal people in everyday life.

The world of the disabled must be based on solidarity, hope and love. It is a place where normality and stereotypes are challenged, because civil society can finally guarantee every human being the chance to be himself. It is nearly forty years since the UN has issued the first Declaration on the Rights of the Disabled. Since then, many things have changed, in science, health, understanding and acceptance. Given our society’s current scientific and technical knowledge, we must support the struggle of those who argue that, for a better civil coexistence, we should join efforts in different fields: biomedical research to prevent disability, health care and assistance, rehabilitation and better social integration.


Salina, July 28th, 2012 – S. Cimmino, M. Romor, G. Di Venanzo, J. Kirwan, E. Giacomin


I started this article with quotes that have touched my soul, and that’s why I want to share them with the friends who always support me, with the ones who courageously focus their lives on serving other people, by working every day to overcome the suffering and marginalization.

I want to thank Giancarlo Volpato, Claudia Bressan, John Kirwan, Gianluca Di Venanzo, Fabio De Zottis and the whole “Colonna” for having “fished” me and for making my life more beautiful.

With affection
Salvatore Cimmino

Nessun commento: